Wednesday 23 November 2011

There is more to man than meets the eye









"When she saw the one shining bright from afar
She couldn't help but exclaim, Oh what a star!
From a distance his condition was mint
Style and substance, fresh like peppermint
So she said to herself, this one looks so good
I would bear their child and catch a grenade for them, touch wood
The type I can introduce to granny and my mother
My teacher, my sister, my brother, even my father












Then they opened their mouths and when they spoke
All the gauges blinked red, she asked, Is this a joke?

Alas, there is more than meets the eye
The mind and soul have meters we cant deny
What the eyes were seeing and the mind was reading
Were so at war, sight and thought went debating
I like what I see and seeing is believing
I dont like what I think, and thinking is everything








But what I see is clear, tangible and conclusive
No, what you see is evidence that is concise but elusive
Until I imbue it with thinking to make it constructive
Looks are deceiving, so be attentive, be pensive
Dissect the evidence before you with the scalpel of a surgeon
Rid it of its flavour like skinless Kentucky fried chicken
The labels and decoration are oft obstructive to reason
See each for who they are. Listen and observe the person








But what more is there to know when the eyes have seen?
What dirt could there be if the eyes declare it is clean?
I know this to be true, though it may cause you unease
I have journeyed the wide world and seven seas
Pretty impressions oft harbour fleas and unseen disease
That was the soul speaking with calm and ease
Distant lands look green and awash with peace
And new friends seem nicer and more eager to please









Man or woman, old friends and new lovers beware
This journey is fraught with many a false care
Value that which you hold as you go ahead
Down the garden path, do not be blindly led
For you can’t judge a book by its cover
You can’t judge a man by his clobber
Ignoramuses and imbeciles too can have swagger
But by their words and deeds you'll know their true colour"
-Kwasi Kyei Darkwah, MA


Your thoughts and comments are most welcome below

11 comments:

  1. Love it. love it. Too many people think dressing will make up for their ignorance. Wow!This should be a poem to be learnt in our secondary schools so by the time each child is 18 they know much better. Thank you Mr KKD. I just love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bruv. I've been praying for something of this nature from you for a long time. Thank God it's here at last. Waiting for the journal. Respect!

    Kofi Gyan Dom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great... Boss... I love this...it's a masterpiece

    ReplyDelete
  4. KKD, not only are you The Finest. You are a teacher, a great father and mentor. I have followed your work since your early years in radio and you always strive for the best. You are one of the few people I can truly show off to my friends abroad and say he is Ghanaian and each time they say Great. This man knows what he is about. Not only do you have style. You have got class and are just unique. God bless you.
    -Anima

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good read! There's certainly "more to man than meets the eye" Only a fool will judge a book by its cover and we are too easily seduced by cheap glitter. As the old saying goes; not all that glitters is gold and we all need reminding every now and then. A round of applause for your good work. N444 AMA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoughtful truths as told by the Finest. Depicted in the finest oratorical style.
    Muriel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saaso,
    mmmm it makes so much sense and meaning boss...fine write up

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mr Darkwah. The Big Black Brother and Master Communicator. You do Africa proud in everything you do. You were born to teach and I look forward to seeing serving in faculty and awakening many of our sleeping minds in the near future. Simply the Finest.
    -Charles Mensah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every man has the tool to sweep a woman off her feet but he's got to use the right broom..Playing with words can be a dangerous game if you mess it up,Kwesi Kyei Darkwa,you do it with ease and its always a great and new release..God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Pamela. You may nt remember me but I was one of the three ladies who spoke to you about entering the media when you came to the US to present the Awards. I love your simplicity and your style.
    You were born to teach. Your gift with words is just awesome. As for your style, dont even go there. Simply the Finest.

    ReplyDelete